I spent the past few days in a period of what you might call "writer's block." You may agree that I never write anything interesting on this blog anyways, but nonetheless I havn't wanted to post the same mindless status update along with a few words of how I did today so I reluctantly left the blog blank until now. : (
I'm laying in bed right now typing on my laptop, as I was just about to go to bed after a long night of playing, when I noticed an old word document in my iphone. It was something I had written while I was in Vegas this summer during the week that the WSOP had started. I think it's quite important to include when documenting my pursuit of a career as a professional poker player. On this particular day I was feeling pretty down and felt that I needed a way to relax myself from the stresses that accompany a career with so much variance, and what better way than to share my experience with others. So my technical first ever 'blog' posting occured in a word document on my iphone. It read...
-------------------------------------------
Blog
July 3,2009
-although I'm only down $1500 for the day. I'm quite certain that today was the worst day I've had since I started playing poker professionally earlier this year.
- the day started quite calm. I caught a couple more hours of sleep on my pullout sofa while Greg and Ellen went to the pool. When 1pm rolled around my body decided it was a good time to get up. And it's a good thing I did because I was scheduled for my pokerstars promotional sit and go freeroll. Quick explanation = 6 players, 3rd to 6th get $100. 2nd gets $300. 1st gets $500 and an entry into another freeroll tournament where $800,000 in packages and cash is given away. So to put it short and sweet, everyone was guaranteed $100 in Palms casino chips just for showing up. Even though I wasn't planning on giving it my everything, I was still interested in getting an extra $500 in spending money for the trip. After getting a shower and grabbing two slices of mushroom pizza in the food court (mmmmmmm), I was just in time for my first hand in the big blind as I sat down. Other than realizing the structure was that of a hyper-turbo crapshootament, nothing interesting or worth mentioning happened for a while. Finally I found 2 black jacks on the button. I opened the pot to 150 from 25/50 blinds and with a call from the small blind we were headsup on a J98 flop. I bet 200 when I was checked to, and after some intense thought and contemplation, the small blind tossed in the 2 black chips for a call. Obviously I'm not surprised to see a Q on the turn, and when I'm checked to again, even though I don't think the nice yet strange Canadian man in the sb holds a 10 in his hand, I reluctantly check behind. The river is a random 6 and the small blind leads for 500 of the 1500 remaining chips he had. Obviously if I told you that I called and lost everyone who thinks they know something about poker would tell me that the fish never has anything but a straight there and that my call was terrible. Well sure enough, I did call, and I did lose... But not to a straight. I don't need to tell you what I lost to because anyone who plays poker knows there's only one hand beating me, and anyone who doesn't play poker probably doesn't care.
- I'm not going to go into detail about every hand I played in this thing. And however boring and standard this hand may have been, I found it quite important as it was representative of the way things had been going for me so far in vegas. After losing a good portion of my stack with QJ on the 10.9.8.22 board. I was left with 1300 chips to get in with 99 against 88. The flop comes A46 and I'm ahead for about 2.3 seconds while the dealer burns and throws out the 5 and 7 turn and river to give the 88s the winning straight and leaving me with a $100 4th place finish. I smile, get up from the table, and head to the cashier to collect my money.
- Getting up from the table after losing is always strange. I normally really don't feel that upset, but it seems like everyone at the table expects you to be upset and stares in your direction with what appears to be pity. But everyone knows it's fake pity and that poker players don't ever have a shred of any thoughtful emotion in them whatsoever. Especially not caring for the well-being of a fellow players. So for the purpose of keeping things fair and honest I think upon my elimination from the Main Even, I'll save the handshakes and smiles and hold two middle fingers in the air for everyone still in play. Unless Vanessa Rousso happens to be seated at my table, in which case I may have some of that fake pity, gratitude, sorrow look stuff left in me...
---------------------------------------------
I thought this post was fun and worth mentioning. No status update for now. Doing OK. Catching up to pace and whatnot. It's 7:46Am. Going to bed. Goodnight/ Good Morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment